Courtesy of Executive Chef Tony Villaneueva of Edgewood Country Club
- 1-pound U-10 diver scallops cleaned
- 1 bunch Greens Do Good microgreens
- 5 lbs fresh or frozen fava beans
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt
- Fresh cracked pepper
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- ½ tsp chopped rosemary
- 4 Portobello mushroom caps (gills scraped)
- ¼ pound button mushrooms
- Truffle oil or paste to taste
- 2 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- Sea salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
Step by Step Instructions
Mushroom white truffle caviar
- Rough chop the Portobello and button mushrooms.
- Heat sauté pan with olive oil.
- Add minced garlic and stir until fragrant.
- Add rough chopped mushrooms and sauté until tender approximately 3 minutes.
- Season with sea salt and cracked pepper to taste.
- Let mixture cool and place in a food processor, stream in truffle oil until desired taste.
- Blend until mushrooms resemble caviar.
- Reserve until ready to use.
Fava Bean Mash
- Blanch fava beans in salt water for 1 minute.
- Remove and shock in ice bath. Bowl with ice and water.
- Remove outer skin from the fava bean.
- Add the olive oil in a sauté pan or skillet and heat over medium heat.
- Add fava beans and sauté for two minutes. Add the chopped garlic and continue to sauté.
- Add 1 cup of water or vegetable stock and simmer for 10 minutes until water or stock evaporates.
- Cover and simmer gently.
- Remove beans from pan and blend in a food processor.
- Season with fresh cracked pepper, sea salt, and chopped rosemary.
- Place in bowl and cover with plastic wrap until ready to use. Keep warm
- Heat up sauté pan.
- Add olive oil to pan until smoke point.
- Season with sea salt and fresh cracked pepper.
- Sear scallops on each side until golden brown crust forms.
- In appropriate plate, place a spoonful of the fava bean mash in center of plate.
- Place seared scallop over fava bean mash.
- Top the seared scallop with the mushroom truffle caviar.
Decorate with “Greens Do Good” micro greens and drizzle some truffle oil on top of the micro greens and serve.